Monday, September 10, 2007

My First Time Blogging and My Thoughts on Blogging & Education

Well this is my first time blogging (although this is my second post), and I have to say that it went pretty smoothly. I wasn't really sure what to expect. I've heard of blogging before, but I had never really experienced a blog. I found setting up the blog pretty straight forward. The hard part was deciding what to write. Not to be too personal for security reasons but allowing enough of myself to show through, all while thinking about how my writing flows and reads. (I'm not an English Major, so writing can be difficult at times).

To be honest I never considered blogging in Education. I always assumed that blogging was for people who wanted to share their day to day experiences, basically a public journal. It wasn't until I read Blogging: an introduction by Bobby Hobgood that I seriously considered blogging in Education. As long as security measures are taken and students have parental consent, I think blogging could be a beneficial tool in the classroom.

Blogging can be used in a variety of ways in the classroom. It can be used as a journal or diary to create a relationship between student and teacher, and encourage communication. As a publication tool, students can voice opinions, comment and discuss with each other their opinions and topics. Blogging isn't face to face and allows for shy or apprehensive students to 'speak' up without added pressure. Blogging as a publication tool also allows for teachers to see progress in a students writing skills. Blogs can be used for administration or classroom management, posting assignments, homework, test dates, review material and course material.

One point that Hobgood mentions that I don't altogether agree with is that blogs can be used for research. I don't agree with this simply because it would be difficult to measure the legitimacy of a blog. Anyone can make a blog and everyone is entitled to their opinions, possibly making the material in their blog biased, which would not be well suited for research.

No comments: